The same melancholy story is the background to other rampage killers:
- Only three days before the Connecticut murders, 22-year-old Jacob Roberts ran amok in a Portland, Oregon, shopping mall. He killed two people with an automatic rifle before committing suicide. He had never known his mother and was raised by a divorced aunt and her husband who shared custody of him.
- Wade Page was a white supremacist who shot six Sikhs dead in Milwaukee before being killed by a police officer earlier this year. His parents were divorced.
- Anders Behring Breivik killed 77 people with a car bomb and semi-automatic rifle in Norway in 2011. He has been jailed for 25 years. His parents divorced when he was one year old.
- Mitchell Johnson, 13, and Andrew Golden, 11, took a bag of rifles and handguns to Westside Middle School in Jonesboro, Arkansas, and killed four girls and a teacher in 1998. They were jailed until they turned 21. Johnson’s parents were divorced.
- Thomas Hamilton, 43, killed 16 children and a teacher in Dunblane, Scotland, in 1996 with four handguns before shooting himself. His parents were divorced when he was three years old.
- George Hennard, 35, shot 23 people dead with a Glock 17 semi-automatic, and then shot himself on October 16, 1991, in Killeen, Texas. His parents had divorced in 1983.
- Marc Lépine, 25, killed 14 women in Montreal in 1989. His parents separated when he was seven.
- James Oliver Huberty killed 21 people, including five children, in in a McDonald’s restaurant in San Ysidro, California in 1984. His parents were divorced.
Every year, over a million children are affected by divorce in the US. Sure, only an infinitesimal fraction of these go on deadly shooting sprees. But every year, more than 11 million firearms are sold, and only a couple of those are used by mass murderers. Divorce control makes even more sense than gun control….
Ah yes, but gun control is easy for the liberal because there is little that he has to give up. There’s no personal accountability and sacrifice involved with that. It’s an easy way out and a good way to pin the substance of the problem on a conservative hangup with guns.
But Divorce? That’s a whole new ballgame that they must – at all costs – refuse to talk about or acknowledge because that would require considering a change of behaviour and that’s anathema to the nouveau religionists of secularism.