Exhibit #1: One day last month, I gave a talk in Rome about how the supposedly liberal ideology of multiculturalism has made possible the spread in Europe of the highly illiberal ideology of fundamentalist Islam, with all its brutality and – among other things – violent homophobia. When I returned to my hotel, I phoned my partner back home in Oslo only to learn that moments earlier he had been confronted at a bus stop by two Muslim youths, one of whom had asked if he was gay, started to pull out a knife, then kicked him as he got on the bus, which had pulled up at just the right moment. If the bus hadn’t come when it did, the encounter could have been much worse.
Not very long ago, Oslo was an icy Shangri-la of Scandinavian self-discipline, governability, and respect for the law. But in recent years, there have been grim changes, including a rise in gay-bashings. The summer of 2006 saw an unprecedented wave of them. The culprits, very disproportionately, are young Muslim men.
It’s not just Oslo, of course. The problem afflicts most of Western Europe. And anecdotal evidence suggests that such crimes are dramatically underreported. My own partner chose not to report his assault. I urged him to, but he protested that it wouldn’t make any difference. He was probably right.
The reason for the rise in gay bashings in Europe is clear – and it’s the same reason for the rise in rape. As the number of Muslims in Europe grows, and as the proportion of those Muslims who were born and bred in Europe also grows, many Muslim men are more inclined to see Europe as a part of the umma (or Muslim world), to believe that they have the right and duty to enforce sharia law in the cities where they live, and to recognize that any aggression on their part will likely go unpunished. Such men need not be actively religious in order to feel that they have carte blanche to assault openly gay men and non-submissive women, whose freedom to live their lives as they wish is among the most conspicuous symbols of the West’s defiance of holy law… (Source)
An Islamist cleric who has defended suicide bombings and the execution of homosexuals is to be allowed to enter the UK, sparking a major row between government departments. (Source)
A few questions to ask my liberal readers:
(1) Are these instances of violence and “homophobia” going to increase or decrease as Europe continues to saturate its natural population?
(2) Are you likely to see more or less political pressure by the Islamicists to take away “gay rights” now that the Christian population has been fined, muzzled, and consigned to political and social irrelevancy?
(3) Where do you see the human rights struggle for “gay rights” in the context of a semi to full blown Sharia State? Will gays enjoy more or less freedom?
(4) Do you think the Christian community will be more or less likely to support the current gay political establishment in their fight against Sharia, considering how it has been treated in the past?
(5) Do you think it is wise, from a purely political and demographic basis, to continue to attack the traditional Judeo Christian family with anti-life and anti-Christian legislation when your political base is being eroded by the injection of a real “anti-gay” philosophy?
(6) How long do you think the Gay-Islam alliance will last in attacking the former Christian West? And more importantly, how do you reconcile such diametrically opposing moral and civic views?