Social Conservatives United (SCU) is an activist organization which seeks to advance the principles of social conservatism in Canada, primarily through political and social activism. Social Conservatism is a moral and political philosophy which holds to the dignity of each human person from conception to natural death; the right to religious and civil freedom within the public square, provided that the common good is respected; the institution of marriage between one man and one woman to the exclusion of all other relationships; and the primary place of the traditional family of mother, father, and children within society.
SCU’s political and social activism includes organizing rallies and demonstrations, engaging in political campaigns, initiating grass roots movements, providing a news service, conducting research into social questions, and engaging the public in debate. These activities are carried out through its media outlets, Socon or Bust and SoconTV.
SCU’s mandate is to advocate for natural rights and natural freedoms, including the right to life from conception to natural death as well as the freedom of conscience and religion among other socially conservative principles and beliefs. Its objectives are to
- advance the principles of social conservatism in Canada;
- provide a network among social conservative organizations for mutual awareness and for collaboration on common goals;
- encourage co-operation and partnership among Christian churches and communities and other religious groups who share the principles of social conservatism;
- offer an avenue to discuss and establish principles for a new social and cultural order for a new Canada, including creating and seeking a political means for change;
- challenge and defeat the current social liberal dogma which threatens Western principles such as respect for the human person, religious freedom, and marriage;
We believe that a healthy and prosperous society can only exist in the long term by preserving and promoting traditional moral values and upholding the sanctity of human life and the family. The basic building block of a civilization is the conventional family of father, mother, and children as history has proven over thousands of years. No other model, whether natural or artificial, will be able to sustain a culture in the long term if it does not recognize this fact. Our basic human physiology, of which the natural family is born, only serves to witness to this truth.
Moreover, the fight for freedom of speech and association, along with religious freedom, is inherently tied to the struggle to preserve the conventional family. Dictatorial and tyrannical ideologies invariably stem from something that is manufactured, artificial, and against the natural law. That is why the push for the culture of death by social liberals also is accompanied by their oppressive laws and so-called “human rights” and “hate law” regimes.
It is our mandate to engage our culture on the merits of social conservatism and to work with other groups who advance these same principles. SCU and its staff seek to engage the culture in a discussion and debate over the future of Canada, as well as providing a collective avenue for mass social conservative activism.