The Canadian Human Rights Commission was established in 1978 to address so-called human right violations against Canadians who would otherwise not be able to address their grievances in a court of law. While the objectives of the legislation establishing the Commission may have been noble, there are serious deficiencies in how the commission works.
In the extrajudicial courts of the Canadian Human Rights Commissions (federal and provincial), the complainant’s expenses are paid for by the state, but the defendant must pay for his own defence and the rules of evidence, normal in the regular courts, do not apply. Costs of Appeal to regular courts must also be borne by the defendant.
Over the past number of years, conservatives and Christians, in particular, who hold critical views of the current politically correct opinions, have lost their cases before the tribunal hearings. For instance, in nearly every case in Canada brought against conservatives and Christians, the tribunals have found in the complainant’s favour.
The CHRC and its provincial counterparts are being used as a political tool of the Left to squash freedom of speech and extort financial penalties against those who dare question the depraved political and social dogmas of contemporary western culture.
This Commission must be either disbanded completely, overhauled, or, at the very least, its Star Chamber-like “judges” must be equitably represented by Canadians of all political persuasion, not the least of which are conservatives.
Past atrocities by the HRCs covered by SoCon or Bust:
- The Totalitarian Itch (OHRC vs. Bishop Nicola De Angelis, Peterborough)
- The Spy Who Shagged My Internet Connection (CHRC vs. Marc Lemire – Obstruction, Illegal Surveillance)
- Ezra Levant Mows Down the Canadian Star Chambers (AHRC vs. Ezra Levant & The Western Standard)
- Social Conservatives – The CHRC’s Whipping Boys (CHRC vs. Ron Gray, leader of the Christian Heritage Party)
- Kangaroo Court Now in Session (CHRC vs. Free Dominion, popular conservative discussion board)
- A Free Dominion Against the HRCs (CHRC vs. Mark Steyn & Maclean’s magazine)
A sample of news reports of the various Canadian human rights commissions’ attacks on Christians:
- Canada Court Rules Marriage Commissioners Must “Marry” Homosexuals (07.09)
- Alberta Human Rights Tribunal Rules Against Christian Pastor Boissoin (12.07)
- Christian Political Party Before Human Rights Commission for Speaking Against Homosexuality (11.07)
- Canada’s Human Rights Commission Used to Target Conservative Website With “Hate Speech” (07.07)
- Knights of Columbus Forced to Pay Damages to Lesbians for Refusing to Rent Hall (11.05)
- Scott Brockie Loses Decision at Court of Appeals, On the Hook for $40,000 (04.04)
- COURT AGREES WITH HUMAN RIGHTS TRIBUNAL THAT BIBLE = HATE LITERATURE (02.03)
- Marriage Commissioner: “I Couldn’t Live With Myself if I Were to Perform Same Sex Marriages” (07.02)
- Homosexuals Seek to Shut Down Canadian Pro-Family Websites (07.06)
- Human Rights Law Pioneer: Human Rights Tribunal Restricting Freedom of Speech (03.06)
- Human Rights Complaint Filed Against Catholic Bishop for Defence of Traditional Marriage (03.05)
- Unelected Human Rights Commission Dictates New Anti-Family Laws in New Brunswick (08.04)
- CHRISTIAN COUPLE FORCED TO SHUT DOWN B&B FOR REFUSING HOMOSEXUAL COUPLE (05.01)
- KANGAROO HUMAN RIGHTS COURTS IN LIMBO AFTER BIAS CHALLENGE (11.00)
- CANADIAN HUMAN RIGHTS COMMISSION SLAMMED BY AUDITOR GENERAL (09.98)
- CHRC ANNUAL REPORT SHOWS EXTREME PRO-GAY BIAS (03.98)
Other items of interest regarding the Human Rights Commissions